Thursday, May 11, 2006

She Shoots, She Scores!

To those of you who wished my hubs and I well wishes on our anniversary, I thank you. Because it was looking like it was going to be the high point of my day. Really. And the way my luck was running, probably the most romantic part too.

Like the fool I am, I didn't realize #9 fell on a play-off date. Which meant that I spent the evening on the couch, next to my hubs, watching his team struggle to stay in the game. To be honest, I couldn't tell you if it was a good game or not. Between enjoying my cold, stale pizza and receiving a foot rub that alternated between either too hard or too soft depending on what end of the rink the puck was on, I wasn't paying too much attention. I was busy thinking of all the ways I would have enjoyed spending our anniversary (maybe a movie, maybe dancing, maybe a quiet romantic stroll) while drilling holes into the side of my beloved's head with my ice-ray glare. To which, he remained oblivious. Dope.

Nope, I could have worn a snazzy little french maid's outfit and licked Mr. Pickle and he still wouldn't have noticed me. He probably would have told me I was distracting him from the game and could I please be quiet? I could have cartwheeled naked through out the living room and he would have told me "You make a better door than a window."

This, dear internet, is the reality of marriage after nine years. Don't get me wrong, the man wasn't a completely obtuse. He brought home a funny, romantic card and my favorite treat: Tim Horton's. He called me every five minutes through out the day to make sure I knew he loved me and to remind me about the damn hockey game.
I knew that with the game well into over-time, if I ever wanted to see any action on my anniversary I would have to make a drastic maneuver. Without resorting to begging like a dog. I may be a fool, but I am no idiot.

Let's just say my hubs never got to see how the game ended. And he willingly turned the telly off. And he scored.

Funny, how wearing a hockey jersey could win my game...

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too funny ... I've used my Leafs jersey a few times that way!

9:03 a.m.  
Blogger Erin M said...

hmmmm I wonder if wearing the empty 12 pack cardboard will garner the sam eresponse (seeing how my DH has zero interest in any sport).

glad you scored on your anniversary

9:30 a.m.  
Blogger Thumper said...

Hey, at least you remembered your anniversary. We tend to forget, just about every freaking year, unless someone (usually my mother in law)calls to remind us. I can't even remember what we did this year (and it was only as couple weeks ago) but I'm sure you had a lot more fun!

10:03 a.m.  
Blogger Lindsay said...

awesome!!!!! Gotta remember your trick!

10:08 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think you're lucky getting all the calls! That's more than i can ever expect.

10:10 a.m.  
Blogger the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

You weren't lying, babe. You bring the funny. Love the blog--can I blogroll it?

And footbal fan tho he is, there is no game Daddymatic wouldn't swat aside for a roll in the hay. So tell Redneck Daddy he's in good company.

11:47 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmmm, thinking of options for the Twinswear as I write...

2:36 p.m.  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Sorry you didn't get to go out and celebrate your anniversary, but he did give up the end of the game for you...And he called you several times that day to tell you how much he loved you.

We usually celebrate our anniversary a week late, because we both forget it...but we always remember it a week late...Maybe that's when we should have gotten married instead.

4:40 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soooooo.... how was it?

9:26 p.m.  
Blogger josetteplank.com said...

Mr....Pickle?

*snort!*

Yeah, we just celebrated numero 10. Not much action there either as I am big, and round and gestating, and dinner just sent me into nap mode.

We did, however, watch my daughter at softball practice that night. Together. Ah, love.

Well, I'm glad the hockey jersey worked. And happy number 9!

7:41 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home